Saturday, June 23, 2012

Trail Nerds

If you're into twisted ankles and feeling like you're in hot pursuit, then trail running is probably for you.  When I signed up to try the trail run, I didn't know what to expect, but I was up for trying something new.  It was the Trail Nerds intro to trail running, only 2.8 miles.  I thought that it couldn't be too bad, for that short of a distance.  I had been running regularly anyway and thought I was up for the challenge.  Plus, it was at Wyandotte County Lake Park, which I had been meaning to check out anyway.


When I showed up for the event, I was really scared that I would be the last runner.  There were around 200 people and they looked like serious runners - tall, thin, lean and wearing very little clothing.  I started towards the very back of the starting line, and waited to take off, I was glad I started at the back as it was a quick start.  Soon we were walking though, as we headed into the trail and had to filter down to a single file line.  It was fun at the start, racing through the woods, a nice slow pace because of all the people jamming together. 

When it opened up into a clearing, we were able to spread out a bit more and pass people that were slowing the group down.  There had been lots of uphill challenges on the way to the clearing midpoint, so I was looking forward to a downward route on the way back.  Unfortunately, we went back a different route with more hillers at steeper inclines.  It was difficult to continue at a few points and I'm surprised that more people didn't twist ankles or fall in a few places.  I was glad to finish and check out the rest of the park once the race was over.  Wyco lake park was surprisingly nice.










If you ever get a chance I recommend checking it out!  Not very crowded and worth the drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment